Friday, February 18, 2011

Current Fixation: Skyler Grey


 Skyler Grey, first caught my attention when I heard her on a reference track with J. Cole for the song 'I'm Coming Home' (J. Cole produced the song for Dirty Money). I swear I kept the song on instant replay specifically because of her verse. 

I later found out that Skyler wrote  'Love The Way You Lie' minus the rap part which is now sung by Rihanna. The singer originally released a demo version of 'Love the Way You Lie' which is the part 2 version used on Rihanna's "Loud" album, and as soon as Rihanna's people heard it they wanted it. Skyler told Pop-Eater that the song was originally written for herself to keep.

"I'm really am an artist. In fact, the Rihanna version of 'Love the Way You Lie' was never intended for the pop diva. I wrote the demo initially for myself because I thought, 'Oh, I have this big song, and now I have a little bit of a launching pad to put out my own stuff,'" she says. "As soon as Rihanna and her team heard my demo, they were like, 'Oh, we want it for Rihanna's album,' so I had to make the decision if I was going to let them have it or not. But I did and so it was on Rihanna's album, too."

You might also recognize Skyler's voice on Eminem's hit single 'I Need A Doctor' feat. Dr. Dre, and Lupe Fiasco's song 'Word I Never Said'.
 
I heard the orginal demo version of 'Love the Way You Lie' and I must say that I prefer Skylers version. There's something about her voice that is so unique.Tell me what you think...is Rihanna's 'LoveThe Way You Lie Pt. 2' version better than Skyler's original?

Skyler's Version

Rihanna's Version

Regardless both songs bring something different to the table. If you prefer a hip-hop vibe than Rihanna's version will do it for you. 





No comments:

Post a Comment